Like any good fashion lover who is not a) a billionaire or b) the editor of a leading fashion magazine, I have a list of wants in my head every year that my wallet just cannot keep up with. So last year ended once again with me having to say goodbye before I’d even said hello to a whole load of fashion treasures. Share my pain.
1. The Kenzo Fall 2012 Tiger Sweater. I have re-fallen in love with Kenzo. I’ve always liked the original label and one of my favourite summer pieces is a hot pink and green vintage Kenzo skater dress from the mid 1980s, but what Leon and Lim have done to reinvigorate the brand is simply superb. I did manage to snag a few pieces from Fall 2012, including the incredible grape print navy dress (on huge discount at Opening Ceremony last week), but I totally missed the Tiger Sweater. Wish I’d bought 10. One to wear and nine to sell for three times retail.
2. And whilst we are talking Kenzo. I wish I’d got the navy grape printed Kenzo Vans too. Such regrets. I could have worn them with my matching dress and been able to hide in a fruit bowl.
3. The Martin Margiela H&M black pumps. Being a huge Margiela fan I found the idea of this collaboration ridiculously exciting (I’d not cared at all about any of the H&M collabs since Comme Des Garcons), and there was so many pieces on my wish list – the glove shoulder bags, the duvet coat, the crazy guitar backpack from the menswear collection… So when a friend limited herself to just the black turn up toe pumps I thought her choice a little boring. But then I saw them in the flesh and it was love at first sight. So much better than on the web – they actually look like mainline Margiela and apparently are super comfy. I hate her now (not really but I try really hard to).
4. Alexander McQueen McQ Fall 2012 Floral Prom Dress. When I saw Gwen Stefani wearing this on the cover of Elle (layered under a Peter Pilotto Fall 2012 dress) I was amazed by how much I loved it – I’m not much of a floral girl or much of a prom dress girl but there was something about it I just adored. However not having Gwen’s magazine cover lifestyle I could not justify the price tag. I did try. Really.
5. Acne Azalea Loafers. I had been vacillating over these for ages and by the time I convinced myself I could afford them they had sold out every where. After months of searching I found a pair in my size on an obscure Canadian website. Cue a LOT of squealing and spending. I could not sleep waiting for them to arrive (I am that tragic yes). And then when they did…they didn’t fit!!! If you have ever had a fashion obsession like this you’ll know how I felt. Anyone out there got a size 5? I am here and so is my credit card.
Image courtesy of agtigtagtigt.dk
6. Everything from Stefano’s last collection for YSL, but especially the Arum Lily bangle. Totally gorgeous.
7. Ditto everything from Raf’s Fall 2012 Dior Couture collection. Not a sold out issue on this one really. More a no way in hell could I afford a single thing issue.